Are Straight A’s Always a Good Thing?

 (This whole post is MY opinion and no hate to anyone, even if it comes off that way bro trust me)

Honestly, I don't really know. Straight A's can be a sign of how intelligent you are, but I don't fully accept that concept. Grades shouldn't be what defines you as a person, a lot of people tend to relate their grades to themselves. Especially those who receive anything short of an A+, however many households are stricter than others and I understand that. I've been there many times and I know what it's like to get jumped by your own parents. I have very mixed opinions which I may have trouble expressing but I am going to try my best to lay it out for you in a way that is understandable. (Bare with me y'all)

To begin, getting good grades in general is great! You should be proud of yourself, it shows you are diligent. However, I've talked to a variety of people who are straight A students and some people don't always have good things to say. One mentioned how "getting really good grades just makes the teacher expect more of you and I hate that." this is a little sad, I'll be honest. Some other people do have strict parents and their whole world just crumbles as soon as an A- is anywhere in sight. I don't want to be rude but it's not that deep, yes I get it, I swear on everything I know what it is to have super strict parents when it comes to grades. But if you are crashing out over an A- and saying things like "I have really bad grades!" then what does that say about the people who have anything less of what you got? You should be proud for getting an A, your parents may not be proud, but grades aren't everything. Richard Branson for example, in school he legit sucked, getting D's and F's, HE WAS FAILING, even dropping out at the age of 16. But y'all see him, he's living his best life basically. Yes, I know, not everyone ends up that way. But what I'm saying is, by getting an A- that literally doesn't mean you're gonna end up in the trenches.

I'm seriously trying not to seem hateful because I'm stating an opinion that can be seen as rude and I get it. But to anyone who gets straight As, you're smart, you need to be proud. But don't go overworking yourself just to achieve that goal, if you get an A- it's okay. Do what you can, preform your best, as long as you're trying, you'll be okay. Anyways that's all don't slime me out chat. (pls yall rent is due)

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed hearing your perspective and honestly I agree! I liked how you acknowledged that grades do signify hard work and deserve to be appreciated but don't define a person. I feel like especially at our school, academic performance is sometimes valued at such a high level that it can push people to overwork themselves to the extremes. Overall, a great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree with you, on the idea that grades can show academic intelligence, although there are other types of intelligence that grades have no way of showing. Don’t get me wrong, I have strict parents who care a lot about my grades as well, and I do a lot of work to do well in school, but school is not my whole life and I do other academic activities that don’t show up in my grade. I can’t get an A+ for doing robotics for three hours a day. And others have their own things to deal with. In all I agree that grades aren’t everything and it is not fair to judge someone based on their grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that grades do not matter to much in terms of your whole life. For example I liked how you mentioned Richard Branson failing but still living a good life. Even if other people end up not making as much money as him, they can still live a good life. Overall, your style of writing was really fun to read. Great blog post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm lucky that my parents don't mind what grade I get as long as I'm trying my best. For me personally, that's more encouraging than having parents who monitor my grades, because it leaves me with room to fail but to also push myself. I know sometimes I feel bad when I do worse on something than I wanted to, or sometimes I tie my self-worth to a big grade or achievement, and I think you explained that well. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. There is so much more to one's intelligence than academics, and grades aren't even good to measure that since there isn't really a guarentee that a student will put all of their effort into an assignment. Sure, someone may be exceptional at math, but what if another person is more street-smart? They won't get grade for that. Gardner's theory pretty much supports you by saying that there are multiple kinds of intelligences (with mathematical and linguistic intelligence being their own thing out of eight). I also like how you mentioned someone who had terrible grades but still ended up really successful. I think it nicely implies that grades won't dictate your future, let alone a minor B. This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rent was paid. I fully agree. I think that straight As can be good as a personal goal or to appreciate, but it can very easily go out of hand. Kids with strict parents can become very scared about a letter on a paper. Although it can affect your future the chance of your life falling apart, because Mr. whatever gave you a B on your science test is basically 0. Great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree. Grades do not determine intelligence and definitely do not indicate who someone is as a person. It is very easy to obsess over A's, and, while I certainly think it is best to try your hardest to do the best you can in school, your life isn't over because you ended the semester with a B- in math.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot say a lot about why straight A's would not be a good thing but I do appriciate the thought of focusing on other important aspects of school life since it can be draining to only aim for A's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment