Who Should Decide Whether a Teenager Can Get a Tattoo or Piercing?
I personally would answer this question in two simple words, "It depends". Many people always tend to relate tattoos to criminal activity or rebelliousness. As for piercing, any on the face are looked down upon, because people say they "look weird". I honestly think tattoos and piercings are a beautiful thing to have, no matter who they are on. It's a form of expressing oneself, clothing isn't the only thing to help you achieve that.
I am someone who has had ear piercings since the day I was born. My mother walked into the hospital with a pair of earrings and back then you could just pierce them right then and there. I have always enjoyed piercings because of the way I can change them up depending on what vibe I'm going for. One day I could have long and dangly earrings but the next day I could be something nice and small. I would like more piercings but the only thing stopping me is my parents. I firmly believe if a teen would want a piercing they should be able to get one, it is their own choice for wanting piercing. But parents may influence their decision. This goes for all piercings you want to get, face, ears, or maybe even a belly button piercing. (Go for it!)
Tattoos, is a topic I am a little more cautious about when it comes to it. You have to know tattoos are PERMANENT. Some of you guys might say "what about lasering them off!" THAT IS VERY EXPESNIVE. I could be $100 to $500, but many factors can make the price even higher than that. It can go up to 10,000 grand. These factors include, size, color (some are harder to remove than others), and the type of in used. (Yes there are different kinds of ink) There are also health risks such as allergic reaction, skin infection, diseases spread through blood, and skin reactions to an MRI. Although this isn't applicable to everyone. Before getting a tattoo I highly suggest you under stand the risks, and the design you want. Maybe wait 6 months to a year if you want the same design, many changes can happen in your life, so best to not make the decision right then and there, you may regret it. Therefore I believe it should be up to both the parent AND teen.
Mayo Clinic. “Tattoos: Understand Risks and Precautions.” Mayo Clinic, 2 Mar. 2024, www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/tattoos-and-piercings/art-20045067.
https://www.facebook.com/flawlesshealth. “Flawless Med Spa.” Stayflawless.com, 2025, www.stayflawless.com/blog/how-much-does-laser-tattoo-removal-cost/. Accessed 16 Dec. 2025.
I like the way you were quite to the point in stating your opinion on the topic. I also agree with your statement, that it really depends on the circumstance and it should be a joint agreement between parents and teens on getting tattoos or piercings, because, after all, there are some serious side effects to both, mostly ranging around infections.
ReplyDeleteNice post! I still remember my mom taking me to get my ears pierced on my birthday when I was younger. And alright I am allowed to get my ears pierced how ever many times I want, I cannot get face or body piercings. I would love to get maybe an eyebrow piercing or something, but I understand my parent's decision.
ReplyDelete