Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus; a Study of Feminism and Sexism in the Scientific Community (Izzy Reading)
*Attention! Major spoilers ahead! Proceed at your own risk.*
One of our generation’s favorite expressions to repeat, sometimes without clear reason, is, “It’s giving women in STEM”. More often than not, the saying makes no sense in the context of the situation but I can safely say that Lessons in Chemistry is a truly inspirational tale of “women in STEM” (specifically one woman) who broke through the gender barriers of the 1950s and continued to prove themselves far superior intellectually to the men the scientific world was made of back then. It is common knowledge that the STEM world did not welcome or hire any women (regardless of their smarts, capabilities, and contributions) until around the 1990s. Even in today’s world, our society is still deeply rooted around the idea that men are the superior gender and women belong in households, raising her children and serving her husband (some choose to do that, which is great, but some also wish for serious careers at the same time). Elizabeth Zott, the protagonist of Lessons in Chemistry, struggles against this view throughout the science fiction novel and holds her own against any character who works actively against her to harm her self-esteem or downgrade her value and worth in the scientific community. Zott is a remarkable chemist whose character continues to develop and evolve throughout the book (although her stubbornness and determination never lessens in light of the curveballs life throws at her).
Zott proves she will be a character her readers will forever stay invested in and attached to from point one at the beginning of the book. Zott is introduced as a tough, smart, and rule-breaking chemist who dons a does-it-look-like-I-care persona for anyone who doubts her work simply because she’s a woman. Only a few years off of what would’ve been her graduation for her master’s degree in chemistry, Zott works at Hastings Research Institute in Southern California where she is treated with as much respect as us humans tend to treat an obnoxious mosquito. It is a miracle Zott is at Hastings at all, though, and even more of a marvel for continuing to persist in her work after she was sexually assaulted by a previous supervisor of hers at UCLA. “‘I want only to help, Dr. Meyers.’ He looked at her, as if weighing the veracity of her offer. ‘And I need your help,’ he said. And then he turned back toward the door and locked it. His first blow was an open-handed slap that spun her head to the left like a well-hit tetherball” (Garmus 17). From there it escalates until Zott finally stabs Dr. Meyers with a No. 2 pencil. In questioning later on, due to Dr. Meyers’ fame and superiority over Zott (in position and gender), the police do not even believe Zott when she says she was attacked. “She looked back at him, hollow eyed. ‘You… you misunderstand, Officer. He attacked me. I… I defended myself. I need a doctor.’ The officer exhaled. ‘No statement of regret, then?’ he said, clicking his pen shut” (Garmus 19). Following questioning, Zott is expelled from UCLA. Hastings was the only place that would take her and she has since been determined to prove everyone wrong and discover something phenomenal in chemistry. She continues to show up to work every day, works harder than her male colleagues, and even helps her fellow chemists out because they know she’s smarter than anyone else in the lab. Her tenacity never falters for a second, which is especially impressive when she was dealt such an unfair hand early on in her career.
Zott also proves that she will not follow societal norms just so that she may fit in with the rest of the housewives. Instead, she refuses to date or form relationships, as well as continuously disregarding any assistance or help offered when her work is ignored or even when her funding is cut off. This is because she believes she must make a name for herself on her own or she will never be known for her own work; in this book, a common problem is that a female will write or do something and then have a male superior take credit for it. To avoid this at all costs, Zott even refuses to marry the man she loves because she knows the union will affect how people view her work as an independent chemist. “‘Our future happiness does not depend on whether or not we’re married, Calvin - at least not to me… Everything I do will suddenly be in your name, as if you’d done it. In fact, most people will assume you’ve done it simply because you’re a man, but especially because you’re Calvin Evans” (Garmus 52). The way Garmus continues to prove how much sexism dominated the lives of women and how hard it was to prove as a female that you have thoughts and a brain of your own contributes to the beauty of the story and Zott’s character. One may think that Zott would set aside her career for the man she loves (as one did in the 50s), but no, Zott aspired to more and this is what made her character so loved and relatable.
Finally, once her partner, Calvin, dies Zott discovers she is pregnant with Calvin’s child, even though they were not married. This is a blow to Zott because she did not want children, but that does not stop her from continuing to work hard (if not harder) at work. Sadly, her bosses believe it is a disgrace for her to 1. Be pregnant with a child when she was not married and 2. Continue to work while pregnant. For this reason, her bosses try to fire her, but Zott refuses to be shamed or put out of work (especially with a child on the way). First, when Dr. Donatti (her supervisor) tries to shame her for her pregnancy, Zott fights back with the best comeback. “‘I’m not contagious,’ she said, unfolding her hands. ‘I do not have cholera. No one will catch having a baby from me.’...’Pregnancy is a normal condition. It is not disgraceful. It is how every human starts’ (Garmus 113). Zott puts up an admirable fight but sadly is fired anyways and must leave Hastings as soon as possible. Now Zott is a soon-to-be single parent with no way to make money or do the job she loves. So, she does something incredible. She tears out her kitchen and designs/builds a chemistry lab she can work in at home; she will be a working mom and she tells anyone who questions her intentions exactly that. “‘Coming up the walk I thought I heard banging,’ one of them said. ‘I’m building a lab.’ ‘You can’t be serious.’ ‘I’m always serious.’ ‘But you’re going to be a mother,’ he said, tutting. ‘A mother and a scientist,’ she said, brushing sawdust off her sleeve.” (Garmus 120). Zott’s drive to continue her work and be a committed mom astounds many characters in the book and further convinces us readers that she must be an incredible woman if society in the 50s was truly as awful as Garmus makes it out to be in this novel.
In conclusion, Lessons in Chemistry is an awe-inspiring work of literature that illustrates what it was like to be a working mom in the scientific community in the 1950s. The characters are well developed, the plot is interesting (even for those uninterested in science), and the motifs of feminism and “women in STEM’ are inspiring. I honestly didn’t know what I would think of this book when I picked it up because I thought it would be boring (I don’t love nonfiction or science fiction). Instead of being disappointed, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved Elizabeth Zott and her character arc as well as the way the book is written itself. This book has taught me to be grateful for the times we live in now because breaking into the scientific world as a woman back in the 1900s seemed like an impossible feat that only the most courageous could achieve (most not even receiving proper recognition for their work). Lessons in Chemistry is a book that anyone can read and therefore must read. I highly recommend it!
Sources:
Garmus, Bonnie. Lessons in Chemistry. Penguin Random House LLC, New York.
Comments
Post a Comment