Should prostitution be legal?
In the year 1915 all U.S. states – with the exception of Nevada – banned the management and operation of brothels. Heavily influenced by the Mann Act of 1910 and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, each state eventually made laws criminalizing these institutions. Laws of which have remained active up until current day. However, I would like the reader to take a closer look at these founding organizations. Specifically, the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and what exactly they stood for. In the early 20th century, the WCTU primarily campaigned over the expansion of social purities. Things such as eliminating sins from the household, the intake in virtuous practices, and the cleansing of evil from society and its government. The only issue? The WCTU, as implied, was based primarily on Christian morals.
Morality should not be tied into law. Conceptions of right and wrong vary from person to person, often derived from views such as cultural background and religious beliefs. To force one's own moral standpoint upon others would be no different from a government operating with religious persecution. Sound familiar? The 1st amendment of the U.S. constitution prohibits congress from suppressing speech, ideas, and most critically, freedom of religion. To enforce a law – in this case, laws against prostitution – with its roots tied up is any religion would be in stark contradiction with the 1st amendment, and therefore, according to the constitution itself, should not be opposed upon the people.
But what exactly did the women of the WCTU argue against? They stated that allowing prostitution only facilitated the spread of STDs, increased violent crime and trafficking rates, and threatened feminine purity. Sex work is often times a path that adults choose out of necessity rather than pure pleasure. In times of economic difficulty people with few job opportunities, low income, or in poverty may turn to sex work as a source of income. The only problem is that the job remains illegal. The issues in which many people find troubling about sex work actually stem from its own illegal nature. By decriminalizing sex work, prostitutes would have access to the same protection laws that govern most other occupations. Laws that guarantee safety standards, employment contracts, breaks, and protection against sexual assault. Now, let us take a closer look at these examples.
One of the major concerns surrounding the transaction of sex regards the spread of STDs and STIs. A study conducted by the Infections Diseases of Poverty in 2022 concluded that the higher rates of STDs in that year directly correlated to the provision of condoms and lack of proper testing. The real risk of STD spread is not the occupation itself, it is the state of the work environment and healthcare provided to the workers. On the flip side, prostitutes with access to condoms and medical care have the same or even lower STD rates than the general public. But if this information is in fact true, then where did the concern arise from in the first place? Our perceptions of prostitutes come obscured with influence from media, social stigmas, and past beliefs. True, when visiting a brothel or sex club, one may be more prone to contracting an STD but with the legalization of these institutions health and safety regulations would then become mandatory, theoretically improving the conditions of the work space.
Furthermore, to address issues such as violence and sex trafficking, as put perfectly by Sophie Zheng, a student of UC Berkeley, “Banning prostitution doesn’t mean eliminating it. We shouldn’t be oblivious to the fact that prostitution still exists in the black market despite prohibitions. These sex workers are more vulnerable because they cannot resort to the law to protect themselves against abusive treatment for fear of prosecution.” She goes on to state that if legalized, the focus of the law would no longer be on that of the prostitute's occupation but on prosecuting the people actually responsible for the damage caused.
These laws are based on old ideas, old statistics, discriminatory ideas, and most prominently are illegal themselves. Therefore I advocate for the decriminalization of sex work in the United States. As said by Margo St. James of COYOTE (prostitutes rights organization): "The profession itself is not abusive; it's the illegality; it's the humiliation and degradation that is dealt to them at the hands of the police."
Sources:
Editors of Encyclopedia Britannica. "Woman’s Christian Temperance Union". Encyclopedia Britannica, 20 Mar. 2023, https://www.britannica.com/topic/Womans-Christian-Temperance-Union. Accessed 20 September 2025.
McWilliams, Peter. Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do. Prelude Press, 1993.
STD Rapid Test Kits. "How High Is the Risk of Getting STDs from Sex Workers?" STD Rapid Test Kits, www.stdrapidtestkits.com/blog/post/how-high-is-the-risk-of-getting-stds-from-sex-
workers?srsltid=AfmBOoqwhmFF48NnekTfofBlOKYS3Ta-__JotATB2s6_y-0WmGVf4Q6n. Accessed 20 September 2025.
Zhang, Sophie. "Why Prostitution Should be Decriminalized." Art of Writing. University of California, Berkeley, https://artofwriting.berkeley.edu/writing/Why-prostitution-should-be-decriminalized/#:~:text=
There%20are%20around%20two%20million,regulating%20and%20standardizing%20the%20industry. Accessed 20 Sept. 2025.
I really appreciate how you were able to talk about this topic and actually make good points on it in a mature manner, I feel like sex and that general topic can be uncomfortable for a lot of people to talk about. You make a very good point against the WCTU and tying it back into the amendments, and I appreciate how you made educated points against them without villainizing the WCTU, which I feel like can happen in an argumentative writing. Something to note, is while the tone of your post is in favor of legalizing prostitution, you never actually explicitly take a side. I appreciate how you also take into account the situations of the people that go into sex work, how it's usually only done out of desperation, much like most other crimes.
ReplyDeleteI think you did a really good job in covering this controversial topic. Particularly, I felt you made a good point when you stated that many people in this line of work cannot turn to authorities when they experience harassment, and therefore prostitution should be legalized. Because they're people like the rest of us and might not have wanted to enter this line of work, but it was simply a last resort. Also, I really wanna say your writing style is really really good; this reads like professionally written article.
ReplyDeleteI really like how you were able to cover such a serious topic in a professional and mature manner. I believe the argument you conjured is quite eye-opening as well, because I've always viewed prostitution as an exploitative line of work, especially for those who are in the industry as a desperate last resort. However, I think you brought up some very good points that the only reason prostitution has so many negatives actually comes from the illegalization of it itself, which then creates those underground, unsafe environments that the industry is known for. This post has definitely changed my perspective on the topic quite a bit, which just goes to show how much thought and research you put into writing it.
ReplyDeleteLike Erica said, this blog has really helped me understand the whole idea of prostitution better and about the laws against it. I'd never thought about how the illegalization of prostitution had made things worse, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about how it's an even more dangerous line of work now. I think it's always surprised me when prostitution has been framed as a choice and not a desperate measure in fiction, like books and movies. I guess some people might do it because they like it, but I know, like you mentioned, that it's either not a choice at all or a very desperate one. Thanks for clearing some stuff up!
ReplyDeleteI particularly liked how you explained the part where you said that morality should not be tied to law. I honestly never thought of it this way but I liked how you were able to tie multiple ideas together to form your statements. Overall, I think you did a really good job of explaining your perspective in a professional and concise way.
ReplyDeleteOut of all the blog posts I have read so far, this one is definitely my favorite, and with how well written it is I believe it will remain one. I think it is amazing how you covered such a serious topic in a school blog post which people often take as a chance to do the bare minimum. You also did it in such a great manner. I love the prompt and reasons you put describing how it is more dangerous to have it illegalized then legalized due to the fact that people are going to have to do it anyways. I feel this is an issue with lots of other topics, such as abortion which you can say the same for as well. You also don't patronize either parties and give a mature tone throughout the whole blog making it even more of an informal rather than opinionated read.
ReplyDelete